Ready, Set, Cook!
It’s that time of the year where we indulge in tasty bites and a whole lotta fun. In celebration of the Big Game Day, Chef Tommy of Searsucker Austin has shared his tips and tricks for the best Texas classic dishes around town. Try these out before the Big Game Day and tell us what you think!
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 2 lbs ground pork shoulder
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 Yellow onions (small dice)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbl dark chili powder
- 2 cups canned tomatoes (med dice)
- 4 dashes of tobacco sauce
- 1 tbl chipotle puree (chipotle in adobo sauce/pureed)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- Brown both the ground beef and pork in a pot, strain off all the fat. Return the meat to the pot and place on the stove at medium heat.
- Next add the onions and garlic and cook approx. 5 min, stirring occasionally.
- Then add all the dried spices (oregano, cumin, chili powder).
- Next add the tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Finally cover the chili and allow to slow cook until proper consistency is achieved (60-90 in depending).
- Season with salt to taste and Enjoy!
Pimento Queso Dip
- 1.5 lbs cream cheese (medium dice)
- 1 bunch green onions (sliced fairly thin)
- 1.25 lbs smoked yellow cheddar (medium dice)
- 2 red bell peppers (medium dice)
- 6 pieces Applewood smoked bacon (cooked off)
- .5 can of Chipotle pepper puree (chipotle in adobo sauce/pureed)
- .5 quart heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbl salt
- Cook off the bacon and then cut each piece into 6-7 smaller pieces.
- In a food processor blend the bacon pieces, cut green onion, diced bell peppers, and chipotle puree. Blend until smooth. Reserve until needed.
- In a separate pot, gently heat the heavy cream and milk. Once heated whisk in the diced cream cheese until fully incorporated and melted.
- Next slowly add in the smoked yellow cheddar chunks until fully incorporated and melted.
- Once all the cheese is incorporated and melted, add your mix of chipotle puree, bacon, scallions, and red pepper.
- Incorporated and mix through, then season with salt, grab a bag of chips, kick back, and enjoy the game!